Cecilia has a ton of headbands and hair clips that are just tangled into a hot mess, thrown in her dresser drawer. After searching Etsy for some heandband holders and seeing that all of the ones I liked cost at least $45, I had the great idea that I would make one myself. My sister has a baby girl due at the beginning of April so I decided that I would make one for my new niece as my guinea pig project. .. In the end I’m not sure it was any cheaper than Etsy and it probably doesn’t look as good but it was made with a whole lot more love than the ones on Etsy.
My first stop was to Hobby Lobby to pick up supplies. At Hobby Lobby I picked up a plain picture frame, sold without any glass or hardware, two pieces of thick cork board and some ribbon. I went to JoAnn’s to get some fabric to cover the cork board. I decided to use cork board for the back so that when the girls are older they can use the frame for a message board or whatever else they like.
All of the holders on Etsy had small little hooks attached on the bottom for holding the headbands. I headed to Lowes to pick some up. Thankfully I brought James with me because he had the great idea of buying some different cabinet knobs to use instead of the hooks. I think the knobs look much nicer.
To attach the knobs, James drilled some holes in the frame and then screwed the knobs into each hole.
Unfortunately, the drill bit he used wasn’t big enough so some of the wood cracked on the front of the frame. James cut down some pieces, super glued them back in and then we painted over the thin lines that were left.
To assembled the cork board, I first tried to super glue the two pieces together.
That did not work at all. So I got out the trusty glue gun.. which worked great.
After I got the two pieces of cork board attached I attached the fabric over it using fabric glue and then a little line of hot glue just for some extra security.
Next I measured out the ribbon and used a pencil to mark where the fabric would line up with the knobs. And simply because I couldn’t think of a better method, I stapled the ribbon onto the back of the cork board.
Next, I went back to the super glue to attach the cork board to the frame. We lined the edges and then pressed it on to the board, using some heavy books to help set them together. After the board was set, I hammered in some picture frame brackets (I’m not sure what they’re really called) that we got from Lowes so the holder could be hung up.